Friday, March 25, 2011

The End

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end

"The End" by The Doors, great song! Depressing, but great. It really has nothing to do with this post, but it popped into my head when I made the post's title. Anyway, the end of medical school has finally arrived. I am officially done! The past four years have been spent pulling all-nighters before exams, drinking pots of coffee before 6am rounds, and using every (rare) free moment to sneak off for a nap. As lovely as that all sounds, it has also been the best four years of my life. I had the pleasure of meeting incredible people from all walks of life, learning from intelligent physicians from various fields of medicine, and experiencing the presentation/diagnosis/progression/treatment of some of the most interesting medical cases. (That last part sounds nerdy, but trust me, it was exciting.)

I have also made some of the best friends during the past four years. Let me tell ya, getting through hell and back is always a little easier with friends by your side! And through the roller coaster ride of school, rotations, and life, they made the teetering highs a little sweeter and the devastating lows a little easier to bear. So, to you all: THANK YOU. You have been nothing but wonderful classmates and great friends... and soon-to-be outstanding colleagues! I cannot thank you enough.

Finally, to wrap this up, I want to comment that this is not really the end. Being in the field of surgery, there will always be more protocols to study and more exams to take. In general, in the medical profession--like in most things--the end of one chapter only brings you to the beginning of the next. I guess that is why graduation is so aptly named commencement! So, here's to the end of school and the beginning of everything else!



My official "half page" in the yearbook is a collage representing my family and friends.


This photo of my fellow gen surg classmates and me looks very Grey's Anatomy-esque ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment