Monday, April 4, 2011

Japan

Since the massive earthquake and tsunami devastated Japan on March 11th, hundreds of thousands have become homeless, millions on the northeastern coast are suffering from shortages of water, food, and heating, and the reactors of the nuclear power plant, Fukushima, are undergoing partial meltdowns. As of now, the death toll lingers around 10,000 while an estimated 17,500 people are still missing. Several Japanese shops are rationing water, milk, and other products; the government is trying to assist those most in need. The US, along with multiple countries and organizations around the world, have rallied together to send money, food, supplies, and personnel to help in the relief effort. 

One of the groups helping the Japanese in this time of need is Save The Children, an independent organization that creates lasting change for children in need in the United States and around the world. Well, their aide was just given a little boost: Gwen Stefani donated $1,000,000 to their relief efforts in Japan. In addition to that generous donation, she is auctioning off various items to raise even more money. And finally, she also designed a limited edition Harajuku Lovers T-shirt; 100% of net proceeds from the T-shirt sales will benefit the American Red Cross' Japan recovery efforts. Regarding these philanthropic acts, Gwen stated: "I've been inspired by Japan for many years and have a true love, appreciation, and respect for the Japanese people and their culture. The disaster in Japan is beyond heartbreaking and I want to do anything I can to help. I would never be able to make a gesture like this without the love and support of all the fans over all these years.”

Basically, Gwen Stefani is awesome. She was a bad ass when No Doubt made it big in 1995, continued to rock everyone's socks off as a solo artist, and dominated the fashion industry with her L.A.M.B. and Harajuku Lovers clothing and accessory lines. And, to boot, she is a loving wife and mother of two! Now, I love Gavin Rossdale too; I was obsessed with Bush's Sixteen Stone when I was younger. However, I have no problem saying, he definitely married up! Anyway, I will stop professing my love for Gwen Stefani and get back to my point. After such a catastrophic event occurs, I am reminded of how lucky I am: I have a roof over my head and food on my table, plus all that intangible stuff like love and support from family and friends. Still, I may not have a million dollars to donate to Japan, but I can buy a T-shirt. You should think about it too!


100% of net proceeds from the Harajuku Lovers limited edition T-shirt sales will benefit the American Red Cross' Japan relief efforts. They are on sale now! http://gwenstefanijapanfundraiser.shop.bravadousa.com/Default.aspx


Taken from No Doubt's website: Gwen Stefani has been inspired by Japan since she first toured there with No Doubt in 1996. She found a special connection to a district in Tokyo, Harajuku. It is an area that thrives on creativity, music, art, and fashion. The youth culture of this district has been a constant muse for Gwen, inspiring both her clothing line called Harajuku Lovers and the song "Harajuku Girls." In addition, her entourage of four Harajuku Girls were featured in her music videos, press coverage, and on the album cover of Love. Angel. Music. Baby. 


This has little to do with the above post, but I thought it was funny. I saw this photo on a gossip website last week; the caption read: "Kingston Rossdale is a pimp." Apparently, he got this little girl's phone number ha! (I love how Gavin Rossdale is just smiling, completely aware and proud of his 4-year-old son's skills with the ladies.)

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about my girl Sandra donating $1 mil as well...

    http://celebrity-gossip.net/sandra-bullock/sandra-bullock-spearheads-big-giving-491870

    ReplyDelete